How to help
The BEARS Project
Bears in Slovakia
A bear's life
Myths and reality
Bears and humans
Bears of the world
Livestock guard dogs
Is there a bear here?
If you meet a bear
When there's danger
Conflicts & solutions
For kids & youth
A cub's first year
Pictures to colour
Quiz - Are you an expert on bears?
3. Which part of bears has been used in traditional medicine?
6. How should you behave if you meet a bear at a short distance?
throw stones at it
quietly and slowly retreat
19. How often do female bears have young?
once a year
every 4 years
every 2-3 years
2. What species of bear lives in Slovakia?
11. What is the main component of the brown bear's diet?
fruit and plants
16. What is hibernation?
losing weight in winter
7. In which regions of Slovakia do bears not occur?
18. In which period are bear cubs born?
March - April
January - February
September - October
15. When and why do bears become habituated to people?
if they like people
if they attack people
if they get used to people
5. What should you do to avoid meeting a bear in dense forest?
4. What does it mean when a bear stands on its hind legs?
it wants to attack
it wants to scare us
it is looking around and sniffing
9. Which of a bear's senses is the best?
8. Which kind of bear is the biggest?
20. What is a great threat to bears in Slovakia?
destruction of the places where they live
not enough animals for them to eat
1. What type of fish do grizzlies and Kodiak bears catch a lot of?
13. Why do bears sleep in winter?
it's cold outside
there isn't enough food
14. What weight do adult male bears reach in Slovakia?
140 - 320 kg
320 - 500 kg
100 - 200 kg
10. How many years can a bear live to in the wild?
20 - 30
30 - 40
40 - 50
12. How many bears are there thought to be in Slovakia?
1200 - 1400
600 - 800
200 - 400
17. What should you do if a bear attacks?
lie down, don't move
shout and wave your arms
run away fast
© 2004-2018 SWS - Slovak Wildlife Society
All rights reserved