How to help
The BEARS Project
Bears in Slovakia
A bear's life
Myths and reality
Bears and humans
Bears of the world
Livestock guard dogs
Is there a bear here?
If you meet a bear
When there's danger
Conflicts & solutions
For kids & youth
A cub's first year
Pictures to colour
Quiz - Are you an expert on bears?
6. How should you behave if you meet a bear at a short distance?
throw stones at it
quietly and slowly retreat
20. What is a great threat to bears in Slovakia?
destruction of the places where they live
not enough animals for them to eat
1. What type of fish do grizzlies and Kodiak bears catch a lot of?
9. Which of a bear's senses is the best?
15. When and why do bears become habituated to people?
if they like people
if they attack people
if they get used to people
8. Which kind of bear is the biggest?
11. What is the main component of the brown bear's diet?
fruit and plants
16. What is hibernation?
losing weight in winter
17. What should you do if a bear attacks?
lie down, don't move
shout and wave your arms
run away fast
2. What species of bear lives in Slovakia?
12. How many bears are there thought to be in Slovakia?
1200 - 1400
600 - 800
200 - 400
14. What weight do adult male bears reach in Slovakia?
140 - 320 kg
320 - 500 kg
100 - 200 kg
18. In which period are bear cubs born?
March - April
January - February
September - October
13. Why do bears sleep in winter?
it's cold outside
there isn't enough food
7. In which regions of Slovakia do bears not occur?
19. How often do female bears have young?
once a year
every 4 years
every 2-3 years
4. What does it mean when a bear stands on its hind legs?
it wants to attack
it wants to scare us
it is looking around and sniffing
10. How many years can a bear live to in the wild?
20 - 30
30 - 40
40 - 50
3. Which part of bears has been used in traditional medicine?
5. What should you do to avoid meeting a bear in dense forest?
© 2004-2018 SWS - Slovak Wildlife Society
All rights reserved